How We Can Help You...
A Guide to your Holiday Claim
Simpson Millar LLP helps holidaymakers who have suffered an accident or illness whilst they have been away on a package holiday abroad.
We can help you make a claim for compensation against your UK based tour operator. Simpson Millar LLP is home to the leading Travel
Law team in the country and has a national presence with 13 offices around the UK.
We provide full legal representation for people that want to claim compensation for a ruined package holiday purchased from tour operators
such as, but not limited to Thomas Cook, First Choice, Thomson and Cosmos.
We normally represent people by way of a No Win No Fee funding arrangements.
We will do everything we can to both maximise your compensation and achieve a settlement as quickly as possible. Many of our cases are
settled without the need to issue proceedings or attend a court hearing.
How will my Holiday Claim proceed?
We make the process of claiming compensation for your ruined holiday as simple as possible. From the very beginning of your holiday claim
we understand that you want a prompt settlement but a fair and reasonable one. Simpson Millar LLP focus on getting you the maximum amount
of compensation you are entitled to.
The claims process is a simple one and involves the following steps:
- 1. The First Telephone Call - Here we advise you about the prospects of success in making a claim and whether you are likely
to be successful with your case. Before we can advise you about the prospects in your claim we may want to see some evidence of your
accident or illness e.g. photographs, medical reports, report forms.
- 2. The Letter of Claim - Once we have all the information we need from you, we will send a "Letter of Claim" to the tour
operator. This letter describes your holiday accident or illness and signals the start of the claim.
- 3. The Medical - We will arrange either a telephone interview or an examination in person with an expert medical professional
who will write a report describing your injuries or illness symptoms. For example, if you contract salmonella food poisoning on
holiday, we will instruct a Gastroenterologist, a doctor who specialises in food borne illnesses.
- 4. Compensation Advice - Once we have a completed medical report we will advise you how much your holiday claim is worth.
Your holiday compensation is calculated in terms of your pain and suffering, your loss of holiday enjoyment and other losses such as
loss of earnings and other out of pocket expenses.
- 5. Settlement Offers - As soon as you are happy with our advice, we will make an offer to the tour operator
to settle your claim. We will do any negotiating with the tour operator on your behalf.
- 6. Court Proceedings - If the tour operator does not want to offer you compensation then our specialist
barristers will prepare all the paperwork needed to issue court proceedings against the tour operator.
- 7. Negotiation - We will continue to press the other side to settle your claim. A settlement can still be achieved
without the need to go to court.
- 8. Trial/Hearing - We use specialist travel barristers to help you with your claim in court. They will represent
you at any trial or hearing. You will have to give evidence at the hearing/trial but there is nothing to worry about. As this is
a "Civil" case there is no jury. There is just a judge deciding the law and which side he/she believes.
Most of our specialist travel team have worked for the major tour operators in the pastmeaning we are, therefore, well versed with
how the tour operators work and the documents they should have.
We routinely deal with holiday claims in Turkey, Tunisia, Egypt, Greece, and Spain including the Canary Islands and the Balearic
Islands. We also handle accident and illness claims in countries such as the Dominican Republic, Mexico and Cuba.
At Simpson Millar LLP we consider ourselves to be knowledgeable and dedicated travel lawyers and pride ourselves on getting the
best settlements for people we represent all over the UK. Contact us today using the enquiry form or call us on 0808 145 1353 for
a free consultation if you have experienced problems on a recent package holiday.